PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 07:53
lost horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winchman Training

This thread has progressed in an interesting direction and there are several facets to it. I should state at the start that I am pro Mil (especially RAF) SAR. Its a system that works brilliantly and gives the best opportunity to train to the highest standard. Arguably, 4 hours per shift is too much CT but just think how quickly you can improve and maintain standards with that level of resources. I’m not niaive enough to think that either bidder will produce that level of resources (actually I know that for a fact) but if there is skimping during the selection and training process then mark my words there will be trouble down the line.
MAX It sounds like that this guy is a top candidate and you have tailored an ad hoc course which will deliver a capable winchman, but have you really dedicated 80 hours just to him and only him? I would be surprised but that is the minimum amount he would need. And what did that consist of? I once had an old and bold civvy “winchman” tell me once “Navigation, why would you teach a winchman navigation when you have 2 pilots and a nav computer?” It’s that sort of thing that leads people to conclude differing levels of operating ability.
It’s a bit like saying “why would you want a radar that points anywhere other than dead ahead” If you have to ask that question you don’t understand.
As far as recruitment is concerned, all you pilots and managers out there get this, Paramedic skills (as opposed to basic medical skills) are only used in approx 5% that is FIVE PER CENT of jobs. So if you are recruiting winchmen on the basis of a paramedic qual you are barking up the wrong tree. You need to select and recruit on an individual’s ability to be AIRCREW and train him accordingly. Sure the odd paramedic will fit the bill so sign him up but don’t think that because of his qual he is a shoo in or you can take short cuts with his training. With that logic, if you get short of winchops you can hire ex crane drivers, after all it’s the same type of thing raising/lowering stuff!!
Paramedic for winchmen was introduced in 1994, before that all those wonderful jobs were carried out using winchman skills. The priority on training and recruitment of winchmen should be to get individuals who are good (or potentially good) AIRCREW and then put them through an established, proven comprehensive training system. With the greatest respect to those in the MCA, I believe the military do that better.