PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm hanging up my headsets.
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 06:27
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Funfly

Can't speak for the UK, but I guess something similar.

In NZ go Microlight, medical is by G.P. and is the ' aged' i.e. 75 yr. old driving licence check, if the Dr. lets you drive home, you can fly a microlight.

I share an ALPI Pioneer - 300, retractable gear, variable prop. 4 hrs endurance with 2 up and night stop bags, 130 kt cruise at 18 ltrs / hr. Beats a 152 into a cocked hat, and is fun !

Instruct on a Tecnam Golf, low wing. An early student was around 78, but an experienced W.W.II pilot, soon after starting again asked to book the a/c for 11th Nov. Turned out he married at 11 mins past 11.oo am on the 11th of November in 1944, took his 60th wedd. anniversary bride for a ride at 11 mins past 11.oo 60 years to the minute after saying " I will ". Brings tears to your eyes.

Last week a local W.W. I War Memorial was moved and re-commemorated on the 11th. Guess who flew his now 65 th wedding anniversary bride over the ceremony ? He's around 84 yrs old now, reputedly the only W.W.II pilot still flying solo in NZ. Uses a checklist now, reckons his memory isn't what it was !

Keep going.