PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Landing and Field Length
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2009, 05:07
Haroon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far if I try to summarize the discussion, I think the main issue comes out to be using the 1.67 safety factor for landing i.e. incase of a landback at departure airport above MLW with No Emergency condition requiring to Land ASAP.

The situation is that if you apply the safety factor then your factored distance is more than your field length and if you dont apply the safety factor then your unfactored distance is well within the avaialble field length.

Now the issue is whether one should apply the safety factor after airborne or not? If yes then how much, 1.67 or some other figure?

So far we havent seen anything in Black and White from regulatory authoritues regarding application of 1.67 safety factor after airborne, which seems to be the bone of contention.

However one group thinks that it should be applied and have justified their answers with text of various safety documents which is mentioned above in this thread. This group is conservative in reference to safety and legality.

Other group thinks since there is no Black and White evidence that you have to apply the 1.67 safety factor after airborne, you should save money and land if your unfactored distance is less than the field length.

However at this point of discussion I would like to know, if for some odd reason those who want to land go into an over-run or land on the runway with a flat tyre, then would they be legally covered?

Now I am more interested in finding some definite ruling on using the 1.67 safety factor once airborne, and there is no emergency to land ASAP.

Thanks once again to all of you who are contributing to this issue.

Last edited by Haroon; 14th Nov 2009 at 05:18.