PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air announces its first transatlantic route
Old 14th Nov 2009, 01:04
Cruiseclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little off the subject, but a friend of mine who is a contract pilot in Nigeria was coming home on a first class ticket, prepaid and booked through his company. The manager at the check in desk pulled him out of the line (he was one of the few European looking guys). Told him it would be $100 to put him on the flight. My friend said he had a 1st class ticket and wanted to speak to the manager. The guy said he was the manager, and that the flight was boarding soon. My friend said no at first. Sure enough, the flight boarded and the guy sold his ticket to another person right in front of him. When he went back and said ok I'll pay, the guy said the flight was full, and the next flight on that airline left in a week, but he could get him on a KLM flight for $75. My friend agreed and ended up flying back coach.

Nigeria is one the most crooked countries I have ever experienced (there have been a few). I hope Arik Air does very well, but I can't even imagine the red tape and payoffs to try and get anything done there. Best of luck gentlemen.