PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control Towers In The Uk
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2009, 14:18
thetimesreader84

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teesside i believe make judicious use of CCTV to view those "hard to see" areas. Also the tower complex there dates back to the 40's, although may have been updated when MME (or Middleton St George as was) became a lightning / V-force dispersal field. Interestingly enough, you can (or could as of the early 2000's) still see the ground connections on the V-bomber Runway Readiness apron at the end of the runway. These had a direct, secure phone line to the Bomber controller for use in case of war.

Cranfield has a great tower, was nice and warm and welcoming on a snowy day two years ago when a CPL nav trip went wrong due to snow.

Aren't all MoD airfield buildings designed to a common set of plans, which evolves over time?

The tower at ABZ is, aesthetically, a horrible monstrosity, like some sort of concrete Mayan temple. Will it come down in 2012? Is there any access to the Balconys for controllers with a spotting hobby?

Finally, I can't say for Heathrow, but the Post Office Tower in London is apparantly good up to 170kt winds. I would imagine that the Heathrow tower is certified up to a similar standard (even if it will get a bit... sway-ey)

TTR

(p.s. apologies for the scattergun approach - haven't had much sleep recently!)