PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brown looks at £1bn helicopter order
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2009, 14:03
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political spin or genuine increase in capability?

I have been watching this develop and lets be totally honest about this:

Boy do 'we' (Defence) need the rotary lift increase (not just for Afghanistan, but for any post SDR scenario - both land and amphibious based), and although our Commando bretheren are taking our Merlin white elephants off our hands, it is certainly (a bit) better than their current chariot - especially if the Freaks actually gain approval/funding for a better/improved engine to handover to the Fisheads.

Without getting into an inter-fleet slagging competition I believe that there is real merit in seeding RN aircrew into our green Merlin crews now, especially given the experience and exposure that the Fisheads have had in Helmand where the Merlin community are just beginning their experience curve. It will certainly assist the transition in the years ahead if this rumour is true. This should also free up some Merlin crews to start the CH47 transition, which will certainly help us out. Even I have to admit that a dark/ light blue mix in theatre at the moment is a healthy one - not just for the 'pushback' banter but for the troops on the ground in the FOBs and Patrol Bases. Fortunately the mighty twin TQ monster will always see us out lift the Fisheads, even if they do manage to ditch their Sea Queen early!

The key to this 'rumour' is timings - as already identified, this should have been implemented over a decade a go, and certainly immediately after the NAO report in 2003. But if the MoD have found a direct link into Mr Boeing for some shiney new Chinooks then I am pretty convinced that they are not going to wait for the usual UK procurement process to prevaricate and ponder other options, all in the back drop of a highly likely change of H M Govt and subsequent SDR.

Is this political spin and purely a military concept or is this truly a joint coherent political/MoD civil serpents decision, correctly funded by the treasury that will require rapid procurement, strategic planning and immediate execution if the aspired timelines are to be met?

When I see it, then I will believe it - but sadly I fully expect the media to re-cycle the same old news story for more helicopters in Afghanistan, either through a bereaved family, memoirs or 'leaked' military paper.

Tactically we are rapid, flexible and adaptive - strategically (procurement) is slow, cumbersome and attempting to appease too many people/departments and forgetting the true reason of the original requirement (i.e. British jobs/industry and political gain in preference to rapid delivery of what the commander on the ground actually wants and needs).