PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 13th Nov 2009, 08:07
JimL

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Svenestron,

That is an extremely interesting contention!

How did you manage to establish that the event was 'extremely remote'; empirical knowledge would have been difficult to provide as it would have had to show that there had been no failure of any lines, fittings, valves, coolers, etc. over a period of 10,000,000 to 1,000,000,000 hours.

The very fact that, as squibb66 has pointed out, there were two 'loss of oil events' to the S92 type over a period of six months would indicate that making such judgements is fraught with danger.

I cannot imagine that the regulator would be sympathetic to such contentions in the future.

My interpretation of the intent of the rule would be no more accurate than yours but I would consider it to be 'unless such failures can be established to be extremely remote'. However, that was before the S92 accident; it might be difficult, since the accident, to contend that such failures are 'extremely remote'.

'Semantics' is not the way to address engineering issues:
Sematics: The individual meanings of words, as opposed to the overall meaning of a passage.
Jim

Last edited by JimL; 14th Nov 2009 at 07:27.