PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 12th Nov 2009, 18:12
Snow Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think 'crusade' (without the implicit religious connotations) is the essence that taints these threads. I read many posts and wonder if the author wants to save the operators from themselves, or actually has a huge bone to pick with those up the chain and feels able to do so now that they no longer have to continue in the life of and on the aircraft of their vocation. The Old Fat One is right, we are pilots, we fly aeroplanes. Pheasant sums up how we live with aeroplanes (and justify them to our dearest who question us). We do our best, we love it. We are in charge and we prepare for each flight to the best of our ability to succeed. Fortunately and sadly, we are also lucky. We are the 99,999,999:1,000,000,000 (made up probability) for whom it all works. Many of us could have been the one (or one of 14). I now know that the aircraft I loved, trusted and thoroughly enjoyed hasn't been fit since it came into service. Am I stupid, no. Do I want to blame anybody, no. It doesn't take away anything that I did with the aircraft and I'm sure I don't want it to.
BUT, I hope the Review can do some good. I want it to and I believe it is starting to.