PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on Cairngorm aircraft crash released
Old 12th Nov 2009, 17:40
bjornhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had it been Maurice "the flying vet" Kirk attempting it, we'd be reading about how we should have "freedom of the skies" and "pioneering aviators" etc.
Some will always think this right up to the point the subject kills themselves.
Then, it's "a free world", " he died doing what he loved" and "went the way he would have wanted to".
And I heartily agree with every word of that!

Anyone who wants to take risks should be free to do so.

Aviation safety to me is about knowing how to fly safely. It is a shame when people hurt themselves by doing things they did not realize the dangers of. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something dangerous.

For example, even though I know it puts me in grave and imminent danger, I will actually venture all the way from the club house to the hangar without wearing a high-vis vest. And back, too!

I don't agree with his decision either, but so what? It's his call, not mine. I imagine he must have been aware his flying was not risk-free, and that he probably realized he was taking more risks than most others would. The decision is his prerogative.

The tone of these discussions trouble me a bit. "Don't do that" is a good, useful conclusion. "What an idiot" is not helpful at all.