PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Landing and Field Length
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 16:06
Haroon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message To Everyone:
----------------------------

I have updated my first post and have added the following details as many of you wanted to know for a proper answer.

A/C type: B737-300

Reason for land back: Depressurization. However no emergency situation requiring to land ASAP. Everything (including Passengers) under control.

Runway condition: Dry

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To OPEN DES
----------------------

Thanx for your response. I have updated the scenario to be more precise. Now what do you say.

To CheckBoard
--------------------
Thanks again for your response. Your incident is really interesting and i can imagine what passengers, at times, can turn to!

Considering the summary of what Safetypee suggested, do you still think that saving fuel and time is a better option as compared to using the factored landing distance.

I agree that extra weight has been catered for in the performance but if safety margin is required at normal weights then why not otherwise, especially if the situation is not Land ASAP. Is there anything that stops from using the safety factor once airborne?

Quoting Safetypee:
"if a factor is required at dispatch to reduce the probability of an overrun, then what has changed at the destination – are they going to accept a higher probability of an overrun"

To Safetypee
----------------

Thanks for the useful Links. I have updated the scenario to be more precise. Do you still have the same answer.

Quoting Checkboard:
" The extra weight is taken into consideration in the landing calculations, the 1.67 factor is to allow for either floating (less likely when you are nervous about landing overweight) or "skidding", so the only time I would think it is "needed more" is with a slippery runway. The weight isn't a problem.

So if the runway is dry, is it still worth it to waste 7000 Kg of fuel and 2 hours operational cost? I mean anyone would like to go for safety but considering a huge cost isn't 67% safety factor a bit too much. According to the AC 91-79 even FAA suggests 15% safety which is different from dispatch safety factor.

To Intruder:
---------------
Thanx for your post. I have updated the scenario to be more precise. Now what do you say.