PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 15:19
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He says, though, that he can't remember where the extra pilot sat/stood for take-off - can anyone throw light on this? He also remembers that one of the rookie pilots was
Hi Sandisondaughter, Welcome I think that the official position for the bomb aimer during take off and landing was to sit at the rear of the main spar with his back to the spar although I don’t remember any one doing this. On the other hand I do not remember any bomb aimer staying down in the nose on take off, think he just stood behind me ( FE position.) Because of this the best position for any spare ‘bods’ would be sitting with their backs to the main spar, but not twelve of them. Would think the extra pilots would sit on the floor, backs to side of fuselage, and somewhat aft of the main spar just like our twenty soldiers , carried during the Python leave, described in a recent post. Me if I was a spare ? I would be on the rest bed with feet forward against the bulkhead , and also fast asleep.

Would it be possible for you to give us more interesting info, even if only occasionally , I am positive that every one on here would be extremely interested , I certainly am.