PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ministry of Defence officials paid £47 million in bonuses
Old 12th Nov 2009, 12:25
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having heard the story on R4 this morning, I must admit to being a bit put out about it, but over a cup of coffee, had a re-think. Thinking how little the civilian elements of the MOD get paid, frankly they deserve any bit extra they get, especially for those having to deal with London prices.

What strikes me a few hours on from the story is that this is yet another example of poor comms by MOD. My very experienced bosses repeatedly bang on about the importance of comms, labouring the point that often it is not what is actually said, but what is perceived to have been said.

In this case, given the months and years of stories about kit shortages, troops getting paid less than traffic wardens etc, I think the big problem with MOD CS getting bonuses is not that they get them, but how this message has been put across. It was always going to be a gift to headline writers if not handled properly in a manner that is difficult to spin / mis-interpret (separate budgets for kit, salaries etc), and that is exactly what seems to have happened. Half the story has been allowed to be published, which is now whipping up a storm.