PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 11:23
tallinnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no doubt that City is in a great location however I do not believe the recent growth in passenger numbers is caused by its location. Rather a new type of operator has been allowed to start flights despite it being completely unsuitable for the airport.

Airports became fashionable business opportunities recently despite the fact they are monopolistic by nature and should attract more commercial regulation. When was the last time a new airport opened near you?

In my case it was 1983 and it was generally welcomed by the local residents.

When it comes to the 'business' case about airports we clearly need more government leadership.

Airports provide incredible socio economic benefits through improved communication links, jobs, business opportunities etc

Therefore the infrastructure around airports is very important and the road to BFS is a very different proposition compared to access to a supermarket.

Both airports should benefit from greatly improved transport links paid for by both the airport owners and local government and certainly any expansion plans by either airport should be dependent upon these transport improvements.

I wonder if City has any transport impact plan for the future with its longer runway and increaed traffic it covets. I think they are too busy projecting the increase in value of their asset and what % they can wangle for themselves.

There is no appearance of a coordinated transport approach at present nor in the past.

Speaking of which I feel it is rational to expect the owner of a monopolistic company that regularly pollutes neighbouring residents to keep their word with regards to the future levels of that pollution.

Yes the world turns and airport ownership/management has changed throughout the world dramatically as infrastructure assets and in particular airports became sought after by various funds and asset management operations.

In the UK the current perceived wisdom is that 5 million passengers for an airport is the holy grail. Something magical happens at this figure and car parking revenue, restaurant bills, shopping receipts and the such produce greatly enhanced profits.

BFS is at the magic threshold, City is not and cannot make this number unless Mr A turns up the pollution tap to a very high level and in doing starts taking pollution from BFS to add to his current noxious mix.

Let the battle continue.