PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 12th Nov 2009, 11:02
shneidertrophy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Oryx,

all I say is that your salary structure does not work without a seniority system.

The whole point of the exercise was the answer to:"Why does a 777 pilot in the same function make more money than his colleague on the A320?"

EK does upgrade on their A330 because of the lack of smaller equipment. Besides that their training system and requirements are much more strict than what we have in QR, and so is their screening process.

So their pilots in general are of a better quality, their training department is better as well and they would never allow people to upgrade on an A380 or A340. And I strongly doubt they ever allowed upgrades R to L on the T7.

All the guys I know, that went recently through an upgrade at EK, joined there 4-5 years ago. Most of them had 4000hrs+ when they joined and in many cases they held a previous command on 737/320 or similar. So yes, after another 4 years and 3200 hrs flying the EK network they would be more likely to be able to digest a fresh command on an A330.

Here in QR the requirements will be 5000hrs on heavy jet, full ATPL and minimum 3 years in the company for an upgrade on A320. For upgrade on a widebody you will need 6000hrs+ and all the other requirements.
Besides this an upgrade on a widebody will always be subject to requirement and approval from management, the A320 fleet will stay the main fleet for upgrades.

I know one guy that joined here 5 years ago without a TR and 1500hrs. He was given A320 rating (stayed 1.5 years), joined A330 (stayed 2 years), joined A340 (stayed 1 year) and was finally given 777 6 months ago. By the time the R to L upgrades kick in he, in theory, would be eligible for a T7 fresh command.

Now this person is a nice guy and has good attitude, but do you think making him a commander on the 777 is a good idea both for his career as well as the safety of aviation?????

For the newbees: forget 3 years as in reality we are looking today at 6-8 years before you can ever be considered due to 750+ FOs ahead of you.

I stick to my point: What QR will be doing IS dangerous!

Lets wait and see....