PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind turbines hurt
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 09:48
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sternone.

Are there that many birds anyway? If 1 Billion have died? Just from hitting a stationary window? ~150 million die on power lines? They must be Big Birds to get the live and ground as well, all 150 million?

When I see Treehugger stats quoted I begin to smell a rat.......

I should have added that so called "Renewables" especially Wind Turbines are almost useless forms of power generation. Grossly inefficient, blots on any landscape, hugely supported by massive taxpayers money grants, short life span without serious and expensive maintenance and Green Euro countries are wishing they hadn't thrown so much money away as recent reports from Germany Denmark and others prove.

"This is underlined by an analysis of maintenance records, which shows that while service teams for offshore wind farms are supposed to make two scheduled maintenance visits every year, unscheduled visits to many installations are made 20 times a year."

"The classic example of this is the disaster at the Horns Rev wind farm in 2005, following which Vestas is reported to have removed and repaired 80 of its V90 models, designed for offshore use, owing to the effect of salty water and air on the generators and gearboxes, which became corrupt after only two years. A similar procedure has been reported this year, with Vestas' 30 turbines requiring a change of rotor bearings, at an estimated cost of €30m."

Renewable Energy Focus - How can the offshore wind industry overcome O&M obstacles?

The last line of which say it all.......
"What should particularly concentrate minds in the offshore wind industry is the clear message that without collaboration, the offshore wind industry will not mature or progress."

Last edited by aviate1138; 12th Nov 2009 at 11:06. Reason: Extra thoughts