PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus A320 Contracts
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2009, 00:02
standbyils

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused by this entire thread now.

Astraeus is an ACMI operation, pure and simple (am I correct?) - therefore, would Astraeus' Commercial Department have entered into a debate on the reasons for EI approaching them? Just as EI has the long-term viability of its business to protect, so does the management of Astraeus (or should they turn business away during winter and explain the morals of the decision to their shareholders and staff?). Given the current form of EI, what would have been the outcome if a new approach wasn't taken?

Clealry EI had to assume the worst (plannng a restructure) and protect UK passengers from IR issues in DUB. This protects the good name of Aer Lingus as it would have been hard to explain why a strike in DUB disrupted their UK operation. If the pilots in DUB are ready to accept that the jobs aren't in DUB and aren't on the Ts & Cs the company can no longer afford (if it hopes to compete), then good for them (and good for EI). Surely Astraeus' involvement will be short and 'sweet'. I'm sure Astraeus were aware it could be so.

As for all the derogatory remarks about Astraeus, I have difficulty believing that a UK, IATA accredited airline with CAT3, a WW AOC, multiple Boeing fleets and 180 ETOPS has any difficulty in running a short-haul A320 operation. The crew they have employed are all experienced Airbus pilots and the training seems to have been done by a certain UK Charter Airline with a long history in Airbus operations.

I did hear that the SOPs are a bit 'odd' in some areas due to Astraeus being asked to create their procedures to mirror the existing Aer Lingus procedures.
Apparently this was done to ease the transition for the UK Aer Lingus crews who would be flying on the Astraeus AOC! Maybe EI should stop flying the Airbus like a Boeing (sorry, couldn't resist). As for EI management washing their hands of it, that wouldn't be possible under the EU-OPS Wet Lease requirements (they'd still be accountable to satisfy the IAA). No doubt a number of the EI crews required to go through an Astraeus conversion course will come up with all sorts issues to grandstand with their management and probably IALPA and the IAA too. Then again, it can't be that hard flying the same aircraft on the same routes with the same crew using the 'same' procedures, but under a different AOC, can it? The OCC must be over-kill for the highly trained EI crews, having to sit it out just to go and do the same job again(?).

Also, it would be very obvious to anyone with an operational head that Astraeus could be CAT 1 on a new type for a short period. If Astraeus did pull the wool over EI's eyes (and I don't think they did for a minute) this would reflect badly on EI. As Astraeus were operating one A320 from BFS over the w/end it is odd the lines of flying weren't swapped to avoid the diversion (who's call, EI Ops or Astraeus Ops?).

What would have been worse, short-term Astraeus or long-term O'Leary?

Anyway, I'm sure the concept wasn't devised by Astraeus, so why bother trying to undermine Astraeus when the real issue is between EI crews and their management? Why shoot down Astraeus pilots for standing up for their airline?

The size of the 2 airlines can't be that different now (?).

Last edited by standbyils; 12th Nov 2009 at 00:20.