PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for work overseas (US & Canada)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2002, 16:31
druglord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...here's the deal:
First of all you may want to check into a school that does this sort of thing on a regular basis. There's one near Flightsafety in Vero Beach FLorida...but I can't remember it's name. Flightsafetly doesn't do that sort of thing unfortunately. This is what I had to do. First get a FAA medical. I would wait till i'm over here though. It was a real balls-up trying to get the paperwork from oz to the US. Here they'll hand it to you over the counter. Costs about $100. Next you'll want to buy the gleim red books as they're known. Check out www.gleim.com I think. Study up for the comm and instrument rating. easy peasy cf to oz. You should be able to buy these for $25US each. It may be better to check out the KING courses though to familiarise with US procedures/rules etc. Next you'll need to go down to a US FSDO. The flight school should organise this for you. You'll get a private FAA license. Then the expensive part: For a commercial Multi-engine...you'll need from memory:
20 hours of multi with an FAA instructor ...of which include
10 hours of instrument time
a night cross country greater than 100nm
a cross country greater than 300nm with at least 2 stops
10 takeoffs and landing at an airport with a control tower
...and few others I forgot..check out www.faa.gov for details
Then or before this you'll need to get an instrument rating flight also. Most of the above requirements should satisfy these though. I paid about $4000US Hope this helps. SHould be easy getting work though. I walked into a school and said I was a pilot and they handed me an application for immediately...I don't have an instructors ticket though. anyway hope it helps. Let me know if you need more info.