PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 14:10
lastgasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
regle

I have been slowly working my way through this thread, - undoubtedly the most fascinating and valuable record to appear here, - and to my delight spotted your reference to Len Thorne, the pilot who flew you out to Belgium when you first joined Sabena.

Len, who died some years ago, was my wife's uncle. As you are doubtless aware, he too was an Arnold graduate (having started the war as a probationary Met policeman, in which capacity he was awarded one of the first George Medals for rescuing a large number of people from a burning building). He completed a full tour on Lancasters and subsequently had a long career with Sabena.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in Belgium on a number of occasions, but never had the real opportunity to get to know him well. I have a vague recollection that he was given an award by King Leopold for managing to land him at a fog-bound Brussels during the Congo crisis, when the advised diversion to another country would have cause great loss of face. It would be great to hear any memories you may have of him in the course of your next Sabena instalment.