PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATCO and SATCO Terminated
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 14:05
Undercover Dragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting series of posts. Stumbled here due to the shut down in Muscat, but this seems more interesting.

The situation, and people like kooki, are almost stereotypical of the Gulf.

IMHO kooki's just a young local raised on the traditional BS, who thinks expats are somehow taking from his country, just here for the money, etc; and - typical of the younger generation everywhere but especially in the Gulf - is someone used to the easy life and has grown up in a place with an almost cargo cult approach to modernity. And they confuse criticism with insult.

He's also young, inexperienced, and clearly too stupid to know he doesn't know very much. That can change, hopefully. Fortunately, meanwhile, the vast competency gap it creates for 'getting important stuff done' allows expats like me to have a great time in the Gulf.

In general, the ME internet forums attract commenters who want to try and dumb down the debate by making it an issue of 'expat' vs 'local'. Or that personalise it and suggest that just because you don't live in the ME permanently (or presently), you don't have a right to comment.

When - of course - it should be about pesky little things like facts, ideas, performance, competency, professionalism, safety, respecting people, and getting the job done.

Which, like I said, is why we will always have a job in the Middle East... Good help is hard to find.