PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 13:46
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is interesting how much criticism Cirrus seem to attract
A lot of this is success envy. There is a prominent website used by lawyers to justify saying the SR22 is unsafe. Of course that website presents very skewed data and is run by a Cessna dealer. One year at AOPA I had the Columbia salesman explain to me why stalling the Columbia and bringing it to the ground would be safer than coming down in a Cirrus under canopy. My son was with me so I behaved myself. I have a masters in physics and was very tempted to launch into an explanation of total kinetic energy, energy absorption in a crash etc. Never mind actually looking at the data of what has happened after chute deployments. The Cirrus system works very well. Last year at AOPA it was the Cessna sales team spewing misinformation. I have to give high marks to Diamond. They sold their aircraft based on its features and strong points. They were very classy.

There also seems to be a dislike of Cirrus marketing. Alan Klapmeier feels strongly that we need more people in aviation or we will lose more airports and GA will go away. So... while he was CEO Cirrus marketed to non-pilots. Alan loves old planes, especially the Spitfire, but feels the health of GA is in making planes easier to fly. This is not new. Back when GA had much more vitality Cessna marketed the 182 as almost as easy as driving a car. I can see both sides of the argument but I doubt new Cirrus pilots have any higher accident rate than new pilots who get a Mooney or Bonanza. Note that I am not comparing them to new pilots who get a 172. In any case this is speculation on my part and not backed up by data.

I like the performance and fit and finish of the Mooney. My wife hates all planes that only have one door. Being able to step right into the seating area is a big deal to her. I tried to get her interest in a Mooney but when she climbed over one seat to get into the pilot's seat she was a lost cause. She also disliked the high glare shield. I did get her to admit that the fit and finish was great and that speed brakes are a great feature.