PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 12:53
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, clearly you have never really flown the plane. Crosswind landings are one of my favorite things about the SR22. Another is the ride in turbulent conditions.
FWIW, I agree. I think the crosswind performance is as goo as any single I have flown and comes close to a Twinstar. It really is not an issue.

I also agree with your other comments.

I dont see the point of bashing Mooney against Cirrus, both are in my opinion great aircraft. Of course there are differences between the types and each performs better in certain respects.

It is interesting how much criticism Cirrus seem to attract - I wonder why, given that so much of it seems unfounded. When I started flying the 22 I asked several people their views. A very experienced instructor told me he hated the side stick and explained that was why Cirrus owners always flew the aircraft on autopilot. That seemed a fair comment. However after many hours in my 22 it simply is not true. I have flown lengthy sectors entirely by hand because it is in my opinion a delight to fly and the side stick works very well. I asked the same instructor how many hours he had in the Cirrus subsequently - uhhm, beneath a cough, 3. Is that part of the problem - many of the myths are based on rumour or pilots who have a few hours in the aircraft. I reckon it takes rather more than that to get to know any aircraft well.

I have a little over 50 hours in Mooneys and like them very much. They are a very good aircraft and that is why they have survived for so long.

I think the single most significant advantage Cirrus have is cost. The world has moved on and I dont think there is the same market that existed for the high costs associated with a low volume producer working with high labour construction techniques. Plastic fantastic may have advantages and disadvantages but cost will all remain one hell of an advantage.