PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 12:02
paulp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* badly build, have a low finishing quality
I like Mooney and Bonanza build quality. However, Cirrus build quality improved with each generation. The G2 significantly improved the fuselage. The G3 improved the wing and main struts. The Perspective did a further improvement on the interior.

* Insurance is higher on Cirrus than on other GA planes (why would that be hu?)
Maybe because it isn't true. Insurance is driven first and foremost by hull value. A $600k Cirrus has higher insurance than a used $50k Mooney. Ok, what's your point?

* many high time pilots crashed their cirrus while low and slow
And their Mooney and their Bonanza..... Again, what's the point? I don't care if you prefer another plane. The Bonanza and Mooney products are both nice. However, there is no real data here. Please define your use of the term "many". I know of a base to final stall spin accident. EMAX data was pulled and the pilot let airspeed drop below stall in an uncoordinated turn. Are you saying this doesn't happen in a Mooney?!

* have high post-crash fires
This is the one where there may be something. I don't know. Certainly all planes can suffer post crash fires. We just had a 310 crash here that left nothing of the plane or a house. Coming down under canopy there has never been a post crash fire. But there have been in other accident profiles.

* are difficult to land in a crosswind
Ok, clearly you have never really flown the plane. Crosswind landings are one of my favorite things about the SR22. Another is the ride in turbulent conditions.

* count too much on the parachute (example, according to the Poh: engine failure ? Pull the chute !! I don't call that dealing with emergencies, for cirrus it is)
Again, get the facts straight. The chute is there as a last ditch option so it is listed as such for many emergencies.

Spin: Pull the Chute
In this case it is listed there for legal reasons. Initial spin recovery, if there is altitude available, is by conventional means. I haven't done it but know people who have.

Ice: Pull the chute
What do you propose if all else fails? Perhaps in its place in the Mooney POH it should have "Say a prayer."

[quote]Engine Failure: Pull the Chute[quote]

Having had a friend get killed because he did the macho thing and wanted to make the airport I think the answer here is that too few pilots pull the chute. Had he pulled he would be alive and his wife and young daughter would have a husband & father respectively. If you have an engine failure over 100' ceilings what do you do? What about over hostile terrain?

Disorientation: Pull the Chute
Mooney macho alternative is to crash and die. There is an ATC transcript of a Cirrus pilot clearly disoriented trying to get things back under control. Maybe a better pilot would have succeeded. However, this guy played macho and died.

* Cirrus airframe life limit is 15.000hours
All really new airframes have a life limit. Mooneys aren't certified under the new rules or they would too. As experience has been gained this lifetime limit has been extended.

A cirrus that has 400 hours for example looks beat up, inside and outside.
Here we can agree. This is more appropriate to early Cirrus aircraft than the G3 model. You can look at the model changes to see how fit and finish issues like the side of the center column are being changed to correct problems of fit and finish.

ALL CIRRUS AIRPLANES HAVE A LIFETIME LIMIT ON THE BRS PARACHUTE OF 10 YEARS
Even worse, the price to replace the BRS and the problems of the top of the fuselage that needs to be re-done is NOT KNOWN YET.
The alternative is to not have the chute. Again there is an expectation that with field experience this will be extended but it is a real limit right now. The expense is just being quantified and is around $10k + labor. G2 models and beyond offer easier access for the replacement. For G1 the plastic panel covering the chute has to be removed.

I can understand liking the efficiencies of the Mooney or the club seating and nice fit and finish of a Bonanza. I have trouble understanding your clear hatred of the Cirrus.