PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR Cover Increasing? Safety over money for a change!
Old 11th Nov 2009, 05:07
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Vec - their aircraft is brand new, doesn't do as many hours and hasn't been available for night wet winching due to the lack of suitable lighting and uncleared autopilot modes - not exactly the shining example of how it should be done. Your friends will also doubtless tell you what an awful working environment the contractors have provided with everything focussed on profit by reducing costs.

Gannet haven't had a second standby for a long while because they are undermanned (primarily rearcrew I believe) and, as yet, they haven't been required to comply with the EU WTD as the military were seeking exemptions - none given!

5.7 crews is what I believe is the actual figure for 1 aircraft on 24/7 SAR cover as required by our EU masters.

Donna - when Culdrose are on a long ranger at night post SARH, there will be no SAR cover for the whole of the SW - the nearest flights will be Valley or Lee - you might be happy to take that at risk but it ignores the very high probability that lives will be lost. I guess you are saying that searching for people in trouble isn't important then, nor is taking critically ill people to hospital - only immediate lifesaving counts, perleease