PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What it's like to spend £65,000 and not get a job
Old 10th Nov 2009, 20:44
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeBedie

Wanabe - 'I know everyone comming out of Oxford is getting work - I was only talking to them a few days ago'
That's right - everyone. A quick look at the published employment statistics on the OAA website shows that in 2009 a total of 106 graduates have found employment flying within an airline environment. Of that 106 note that 26 were 'sponsored' (NJE, FlyBe & TCX) and of that 26, 6 are currently on gardening leave for the winter season and 16 were invited to participate in a form of voluntary redundancy whilst still training.
61% of the total paid an additional 30K for a 737NG type rating to an organisation who have cleverly converted their TRTO into a profit centre during an economic downturn.

Importantly for the consumer the schools don't publish their student loads for the year, however it's not difficult to estimate the numbers: I believe OAA runs a course a month and works to an average class size of 24 students per course although I am lead to believe the numbers have been higher for each class in 2008/9, but ignoring that it works out at a total of 288 students (conservatively) of which a small number may not complete the course for a variety of reasons. You can manipulate statistics more or less how you want but the basic maths shows that for this year something in the order of 40% of graduates have managed to find employment of which 10% enjoyed 'sponsorship' in one form or another (meaning they were pre-selected and effectively had the promise of a job at the end of it). Don't neglect the fact that to graduate in 2009 you would have commenced training during '08 or earlier.

Based on what I've seen of the industry this year 40% sounds extremely good going but if the marketing department is suggesting to potential customers that everyone is getting work I would advise to exercise caution as that statement seems a little wide of the mark .