PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2009, 20:17
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
I understand this comment but why not? should we just hire in the crews from the north each season? that would make sense wouldnt it. I believe they are only attackig small fires that hasnt formed a front.
Sadly, the fire will "form a front" when it pleases.

I think I mentioned on the other thread that I had met the guy who developed the fire curtains we use on our Tankers (and I can readily vouch for!). His Brother was a Smoke Jumper & died on Storm King Mountain in 1994. Now, there were many circumstances & stuff ups that contributed to this tragedy, but basically, these guys & girls have little in the way of protection if they get caught. The only survival PPE they have is a collapsible shelter they carry with them & need to deploy when in danger. The shelter stops radiant heat, but not direct flame, and you need to be out of the wind to successfully deploy them to a suitable standard. Rarely will it be still during the conditions you need to deploy them in.

Remember, if the jumpers get caught, someones got to go in to help them anyway.

These portable shelters are not recommended or supplied to any agency in Oz that I am aware of, as they possibly provide a false sense of security. (There's probably a myriad of other reasons I'm not aware of too!)

Anyway, you are right in saying that they can, and do, knock out small, remote fires, but I think the agencies here believe the risk is too great.