PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EIR, IMC rating and Jim Thorpe
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2009, 19:57
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BackPacker

I admit I do not possess an IR (otherwise I wouldn't bother mingling in this thread anyway) but if you allow slightly less strict standards for a PPL/IR than for a CPL/IR, and compensate for that by having, say, slightly higher departure/approach minima (published minima + 200' for instance), would that significantly impact the utility of a PPL/IR? Or maybe some system where you need to apply slightly higher minima for the first x "for real" IMC approaches?
You are realistically asking the Europeans to accept the IMCR? whats the difference?

The problem that concerns me is selling something acceptable to the Europeans. I agree with 10540 that if its seen as a lesser rating mixing in with the big boys the Europeans wont buy it.

If its seen as a stepping stone rating with the same flying standards they may?

The biggest hurdles are the cost of flight training which could be partially covered by IMCR allowances and the option if you think you are good enough to put yourself up for a pre flight exam exam and secondly the exams.

The exams can take months of hard dedicated graft learning a lot of stuff you dont really need to know.

The FAA exams can be done really quickly with no safety differences between the two. That beggers the question of are months of study really needed for a PPL/IR?

The business man /working man with a family often cannot find the time or level of commitment needed to study those blast+d exams.
So IMO keep the flying standards the same with allowances but make the study work a whole lot easier and more relevant.

They will never buy a European IMCR they may buy a stepping stone PPL/IR where the flying standards are the same but the study work can be added later as required.

Thats my opinion for what its worth.

One way is the EIR with precision approach capability. This would mean that a) The ground exams could be a very cut down version, concentrating on IFR rules and procedures and weather only, b) The flight training could be cut down as one doesn't need to demonstrate NPA's and c) make allowances for previous time.
Englishall

What you are asking for is for the Europeans to accept the British good old tried and tested IMCR. Trust me it will never happen go that route and we are dead meat.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 10th Nov 2009 at 20:18.