PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does the aircraft stall when it loses airspeed ?
Old 10th Nov 2009, 17:00
superliner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does the aircraft stall as it looses airspeed?
To that, I'd say 'cuz the Lift decreases governed by L= C*(1/2*d*v^2), where C is the co-efficient of lift, d the density of air and v the velocity of the airplane through the air. So on reducing airspeed you've reduced the amount of lift produced by the wings but not quite the weight.

Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
Not all aircraft pitch up with application of power, and not all aircraft pitch down with reduction in power, either.
Yes, it would depend on whether or not the "line of thrust" coincides with the "line of drag". Any separation between the two would create a pitching moment which would have to be accounted for during trimming. I, would like to think, the tendency might even differ with the same aircraft in different configurations, but I'm really not sure, I'm open to be corrected.

Swept wing aircraft, when they stall at the tip, have a tendency to pitch up due to a combination of airflow over the tail changing and the C.G moving forwards.

Aren't they supposed to do just the opposite of that? What with "wash-out" and all so that the wing root stalls before the tips. Again, just a student, would gladly appreciate being corrected.