PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2009, 10:52
FarmerPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Werbil...
With all due respect, as a seaplane pilot I would not accept a risk assement performed on a body of water that I was planning to operate off by anyone other than an experienced seaplane pilot.
Point taken, very happily. This is about as good as it gets on the Murray until you get closer to SA. Bit hard to see what's under the surface, isn't it? That is a small tinny, BTW.

What is really sad is seeing the political budgetry influences on the selection of the size and type of assets used for firefighting, especially when it distorts the selection away from a more effective system for the same actual investment. And then there is the question about how we value life.
It is. But it's the same in all walks of life. I'm wary of claiming exceptions. Because of the emergency funbding regiome, the RFS is actually slightly less concerned about cost-effectiveness than was DSE-Vic when I trained with them.
I'm a firm beleiver in hit em early and hit em hard. I am also a firefighter in Queensland (auxiliary) and at times I wish I was back in Victoria (volunteer) where we would use dozers ....
You mean like this?

I like the way that the Forestry boys do fire-breaks. No mucking about here.

Cheers............ Pete