PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2009, 04:52
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Coco,

I think a few things need to be considered here. The first question must surely be, were you in AJX when AJV started up? If you were, then you had the opportunity to go to AJV and collect your signing bonus. You did say we got it but that's not necessarily so. Since the 'split' of the original guys from AJX, nobody else has had a signing bonus e.g. I didn't, so I really cannot see (a)why AJX joiners since AJV started would get the money and (b)why the 'old school' AJXers would get, because they had the chance then and didn't take it. I'm not trying to drive some sort of divide but the 'old school' this does really smack of trying to have your cake and eat it.

I really don't know who is merging with whom, but I just hope they 'upgrade' AJX in terms of days off, rather than 'downgrade' AJV. If this is the case, then getting a signing on bonus as well would be a veritable piss-take. I reckon we should get an even bigger one if we've got to fly pax around

Re visas and passports:

The US visas are not employer specific and it can be used to enter and leave the States with AJV/AJX. I checked and have had no problems with mine from a former employer.

Mr Dominican is, as ususal, spot on with what he says about shore passes but that is once you have completed training. BEFORE arriving in Japan you will need to get a Training Visa in your passport. AJV/AJX will send you the relevant paperwork and you will then need to take that along to your nearest Japanese Consulate and get it stuck in your passport. You pay for it and then can claim it back later, once in Japan.

When you start training, you'll be taken to a local office in Kamata (Shinagawa for AJX?????) and there you'll apply for your Alien Registration Card. Once you get this, you'll keep hold of it until you have finished route training. During that time you'll leave and enter Japan on your passport and E/D card (embark/disembark). So, yes. you'll collect lots of stamps during route training. This is relatively new, so Mr D would not have done it this way (I think) as they used to use shore passes during training. Once route training is finished, you hand in your Alien Card and continue as per Mr D's advice.