PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 9th Nov 2009, 19:30
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CABUS

Yes, I take your point.

But often (no sweeping statement intended) it is likely that the 700 hrs will have been gained over a period of time which will have enabled the pilot to gain valuable experience of aviation as well as the ability to operate the aircraft.

An analogy is that of a learner driver passing a driving test in a week on a 'crash' course.

The candidate may be competent at operating the vehicle, but with vitually no experience of 'driving'.

Driving training and testing is another vexed issue - at least pilots are not allowed to fly at night/in poor visibility or in the airways without further training.

The 16 year old daughter of a friend of mine received a moped under the 'wheels for work' scheme. She was granted a provisional licence by the DVLA and undertook 3 hours of instruction. I spite of warnings to the contrary, she went off on her own on a busy main road and was knocked off the bike by a passing car on her first trip. Broken fingers and a damaged foot - plus the moped needs repairs. I know this is off the subject a bit, but who are these people that consider this training sufficient?! No wonder, on average, one moped rider a working day is killed on UK roads every year.

Experience is gained, not bought, no matter how intelligent the candidate or efficient the training.

KR

FOK