PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mekong Airways or Air Cambodia?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2002, 05:48
Le Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M
For the period up to 2000 you are right but I found a rapidly improving country last December...So l hope that things will improve:

From D&G...:
Correction to that shooting incident mentioned by the M: It was a RAC 734... I was having "makan" with the local capt afterwards - He was sitting on the "throne" in the front of the A/C when he felt the movement of the aircraft with the rapid deflation of the nosewheels.
The bloke with the gun was already angry with RAC because firstly it was tied up with "Funcinpec"-Royalist party and this agressive Chap was the right hand man to Hun Sen. Secondly they lost his bags on the HKG-PNH sector & he took it personally.
The month before he was left at the Aerobridge in BKK because he felt that the Airline would wait for him. He was making a sign of shooting himself in the head and pointing at the Captain whilst they were being pushed back.
Capt L...sorry no names pushed back on time as per MAS policy...max 2 minutes after ETD.
When Newsweek interviewed him about this incident and the aspirations of his leader, he replied that he has no remorse and that he would have shot the main wheels out as well if he was not required in town pronto.
The robbery incident that I am familiar with was when Capt Goh...Sorry no names... was travelling on their equivalent to a rickshaw with the MAS Engineer in Daylight in PP.
The robber rode up beside them on a "Chook chaser" and stuck the pistol in his lower ribs... Money was spilt, thankfully no blood.
This was the wild west.
Last month the Govt evicted 25000 Vietnamese comfort Ladies and have mentioned that crime is at an all time low.
Having spent 2 weeks in PP last Dec I did feel that the place was a lot safer but when you've had such a violent past it does take a bit of time for people to return to some resemblance of a normal lifestyle.