PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Journo "Resigned" Over Emirates Article at Al Arabiya News Website
Old 9th Nov 2009, 02:32
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the reason for lack of sleep is associated to Bad accomodation/hotel, sickness, ..... which would allow the Captain to refuse flying the return leg and that would be something EK would be responsible for it;

On the other hand if the lack of sleep is associated to party/drinking/shopping..... then this is not EK's responsability and the Captain should have known better.....
diggybaby

You are obviously a longhaul greenhorn, or management.
The more probable cause, the one plagueing the majority of the longhaul pilots, is the time lag, or jet lag. We are chased around the globe faster than our capacity to adjust our inner clock even minimaly. Even with some 24 hour layovers we sometimes simply can't find sleep.

My sweetest dream is that I could walk into the dicta- ... eehhhr managerial palace one beautiful monday morning, strait into Napoleons office. There he stands nicely rested after a fantastic week-end in his summer resort with his family. Something we as pilots can only dream of. I'd tell him to crawl into a dark torpedo tube right now, at 9am and stay there 7 hours and rest! Then he shall work for another 7h and be ready for a 2 hour trip to the hotel. Breakfast is ready in 2 hours, otherwise no more food, room service is on him, no allocation if you're not hungry when told. He must sleep during the day, the hotel has some renovation works, but it's all under investigation since 6 months and considered a minor issue by the company jerks in the cosy office back home. Dinner is when he feels like breakfast and he just missed the slot, no more coffee but on room service. Just when he could start grabbing some sleep the wake-up call sounds. He is the operating guy for the return flight (well rested, so they say in the palace where everybody goes to the well deserved happy hour after a nice 9 to 5 close to home) because he had 24 hours of rest in a 9 hour different time zone (what a luxury they say over the second beer). Logically enough the transport is during peak traffic, takes more than the 1 hour planned and arriving at the airport the staff is paniking and pressuring for a on time departure. Under such conditions even mighty Napoleon makes a small mistake ..... and the vultures start flying the next morning after they have rested nicely for 16 hours in their own bed, in their time zone with their family.

Napoleon gets sacked, because he is deemed the root of the cause .... and suddenly my dream melts with reality and truth ....

Ahhhhhh, what a nice dream, oh s#!t .... I almost doze off at commands on my beautiful 10h nightshift to MAA and back, the other guy is power napping, completely shattered because the same morning he came back from a 10h ATH turn around.

Last edited by pool; 9th Nov 2009 at 02:44.