PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Only a matter of time...
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2009, 02:26
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
I honestly think with all of the near misses etc lately it is only a matter of time before Australia blemishes its copybook.
JST, with all due respect, as a regular passenger who's employed in the media , what you 'honestly think' doesn't carry much weight.This is because you don't know the ins and outs of the industry and aviation safety well. As an example, you seem to imply that this was a 'near miss' when it is nothing of the sort. It happens on a regular basis to all airlines. I think the last time for me was in Auckland. Basically what happens is that ATC are doing a bit of a juggling act. On one hand they want to get maximum utilization of the runway, and on the other they need to keep the aircraft separated. They do this through judgement and experience. Sometimes they get it wrong, or sometimes the a/c involved make it hard for them by either sitting on the runway longer than expected or flying faster than expected.The "go-round" maneuver is not an emergency proceedure, it is a normal proceedure. At 400ft the 747 would have been in excess of 30 secs from touch down......imagine being 30 secs from a collision in your car......not very scary is it, especially when you just have to take simple avoiding action to prevent it. Airline pilots are not phased by events such as this and would probably not even mention it to the wife on arrival home.

I find it quite disturbing that Qantas are yet again in the news for the wrong reasons.
Me too. Tell me what you think those reasons are JST? Because the event is certainly not news worthy. I find it disturbing because it is a rubbish piece and most people who read it will assume that it is a real issue.
There are some real safety issues emerging in the industry, why don't you try and find out what they are and bring them to peoples attention instead of non-events like this?
I honestly think with all the crappy reporting lately that it is only a matter of time before Australia is removed from the International Press Organization.