PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay-to-fly wannabee damages Thomas Cook Airbus
Old 8th Nov 2009, 18:11
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-T

With the greatest respect I think you have missed the point too.

It's not a question of single pilot or multi-pilot - just a lack of training and experience in general.

I can't think of many instances in life where people are put in such a demanding environment with so little experience - commercial drivers work their way up through the system. I can't imagine many operators placing an artic or a brand new coach in the hands of someone just out of training?!

In most careers you 'work your way up' and don't expect to be in the most complex, technologically advanced machine straight out of training.

There may be exceptions to the rule, but to plan for this situation seems incredible if you stand back and review the process 'from the outside'.

Just supposing a Captain were to become incapacitated with a fresh F/O just out of training with 200 hours - what chance of guaranteeing a successful outcome? Maybe not even with an experienced F/O but more likely.

It's a balance of risk. Perhaps the element of risk is shifting just that little bit too far?

KR

FOK