PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 7
Thread: Ryanair - 7
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2009, 17:41
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gerona and Reus are miles, miles away from Barcelona city. Ok it is Catalunya BUT it is not Barcelona. People going to Barcelona Capital are not very happy to spend 1h20 min more to drive on an expensive motorway or in a coach full of low class passengers. Also, adding 30 euros for a trip in coach to or out of barcelona is a killer for Ryanair. Hence, Vueling, Air Berlin, easyjet, Germanwings, Wizzair, Transavia are happy to get all those potential pax on their aircraft!
Ryanair's load factors seem to differ from your assumptions. I have been on 3 trips to Barcelona CITY with FR via GRO and all coach journeys were full to the rafters of passengers from all across Europe. Each trip I paid 2p return for flights plus between 16(2005) and 21 (late last year) euros per trip into the city, not your 'guess' of 30. I understand that passengers don't always pay 2p for a return flight with Ryanair but they make their choices whichever way they wish and Ryanair are happy to abide and take them to GRO!

Have you seen Barcelona El Prat airport at the moment??? The old terminal 2 is totally empty!!!! NOBODY. Just 2 aircraft on the tarmac every hour. That would be a good slots for Ryanair, but yes, it is not as cheap as secondary airports in the middle of NOWHERE such as GRO and REU
I guarantee BCN gets more than two movements an hour at T2A/B. Also, you need runway space as well as terminal for flights.

Maybe easyjet might be able to expand at BCN then ?
Probably. They already have a large operation, and to add to your comment on the U2 thread just now, it probably would be good for the airline to grow at BCN.

It would, however, be idiotic for the two airlines to expand massive at the airport which already is served very well across Europe - more so than most! I know the two CEOs are not the best people in all areas, but they ain't stupid!

wind check, go away, look for some facts supporting your theory and then come back and inspire us. Thanks.