PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 8th Nov 2009, 15:56
maxwelg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What has happened to PPRUNE. It used to be PILOTS discussing PILOTING issues. Isn't there a better place for passangers to take their complaints? Are we fuelling a debate here and informing persons with ZERO experience behind the controls and NO aviation qualifications?
Steve76, I came across this forum when initially looking for background information on the S-92 after Cougar 491 by Googling it. Perhaps if PAX were better informed of the technical abilities of the helo industry and equipment certification requirements we would all improve our mutual respect for each other's jobs. As PAX we generally assume that all equipment in use as part of our jobs and the way in which it is operated has been risk-assessed to be as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP). What do you define as ALARP, FAR 29 "extremely remote" classification? If so, then will the S-92 MRGB not exceed that definition until there is another MRGB failure? Did the RFM reflect that or was a 30-minute dry-run time assumed?

I know of quite a few PAX up here in NL who look to this forum for information either out of general interest, or whilst waiting for the TSB investigation and ongoing helicopter safety inquiry to complete their due process and provide findings as applicable. In hindsight perhaps this forum and the lack of rumour control and media usage of such outweighs the benefit to all. Personally I have a better understanding of the limitations of the S-92, in particular the current lack of MRGB run-dry time.

If you do not wish to engage PAX in a proactive and information-sharing way, then perhaps you should discuss this matter with the moderators. I for one would see this as a step backwards in collectively advancing helicopter technology awareness.

Heli-ice, you make some excellent points wrt. offshore safety training. In NL we currently do a refresher survival course every 3 years, used to be just 2 days, but may be longer now with the addition of the HUEBA training, which we did this year as a 1-day separate course. I suspect that we will see quite a few more changes in offshore survival training, and perhaps even in the offshore medical requirements. This however will not replace resolving the currently known S-92 "teething" issues.

Safe flying

Max