PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 8th Nov 2009, 11:34
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who gives a sh1t -
With using only a miniscule of the normal rotary pilot’s usual superb observation powers, actually there is an ever increasing number, as, of course you would have seen.

the Western World has bigger problems on it's hands outside of global warming or climate change
Yes it does, and errrr, that is the point exactly, thank you for reiterating it. This Copenhagen deal is something that needs to be killed stone motherless dead before we all run out of money by gift to the third world to DEAL with these “other” issues, and more specifically, retain financial capacity to be able to deal with these “other” issues. Who will remain to fly the freedom flag???

Specifically, and using the same observation, you may have seen a press release from the British ministry of Health, about 14 months back that detailed that the issue of people gluttoning themselves with trans-fats was the worst dilemma that Britain faced, worse even and I quote, “than the global warming crisis”.

Sorry Cags, my point is that it could appear that we are led by a person whose gullibility (possibly only for a self serving world stage appointment euphoric role) is pointedly being exploited by those in Copenhagen to be there as, “a friend of the chair”, another quote.
If, Australia delivers a signing of .7% of GDP, that is seven billion per year that our economy has to cough up or be fined large portions if we don’t????

It is not .7% of the surplus that we used to enjoy and be lavishly treated with under the responsible Costello treasury leadership which was around 7billion PA. I won’t bother to talk about the current recurring deficits.

Where is the money to come from for R & D, HEMS, rides up and down the muddy Yarra, the military, fire fighting, schools, medicine, and the list is long. Forget the super subs - another vote catching dream, -the camel shooting - more gullible votes, disease, and quarantine controls- let’s not go there.

For you sake and if I may indulge just a little more of the hospitality of the mods I’ll insert a quote from another letter, based on science that crossed my desk recently.

Oh, and no I don’t live anywhere near Toorak, so I certainly ain't a trendy, or a lefty. They are mostly now in the greenie movement, you will also have observed I am sure, now that “the wall“ has been torn down and they were flushed out.

"AS global warming hysteria rises to a crescendo ahead of the Liberal Party meeting this weekend I would like to add just two words: ‘Henry’s Law’ for those who have forgotten more chemistry than they were ever taught. Wikipedia relates: “In chemistry, Henry’s law is one of the gas laws, formulated by William Henry in 1803.”

It states: “At a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas dissolved in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid – an equivalent way of stating the law is that the solubility of a gas in a liquid at a particular temperature is proportional to the pressure of that gas above the liquid.”

The science fact is that the atmospheric level of CO2 is always in balance with the sea temperature as postulated by William Henry two centuries ago. It does not matter how much CO2 is pumped into the air, it will always find an equilibrium concentration as a function of the sea temperature
In other words, if the sea temperature rises, so will the atmospheric concentration of CO2 – regardless of whether any extra CO2 has been produced on Earth. Similarly the CO2 concentration in air will fall when the sea temperature falls – regardless of the amount of CO2 produced on earth.
This happens because CO2 entering the sea forms into the aqueous, then bicarbonate and then carbonate radicals. To come back from the bicarbonate state the sea temperature would have to rise above 50 deg C and to about 700 deg C for the carbonate to disassociate. This leaves only the aqueous component of CO2 in the sea available for re-release to the atmosphere. This component’s concentration is solely dependent on sea temperature and the atmospheric partial pressure of CO2.

It is therefore fair to say that CO2 is very, very, very, soluble in sea water. The last two ‘verys’ form into a one-way street capturing CO2 forever and a day – a bottomless pit if you like. The sea will never get super saturated with CO2, because the bicarbonate and carbonate ions have myriad end uses in the oceans most of which end up as calcium carbonate or free carbon. Of all the problems facing this world CO2 is not one of them.

I am surprised from all the discussion held on this subject no one I have come across has focused on the solubility aspects of CO2. This is completely fundamental to the whole global warming debate’. – Name withheld.

Hopefully one day we will meet and you will be able to thank me for giving you the lift under the ear that I think you need right now to help progress this nation for our descendants, or wilt and leave it the mess that the Copenhagen talk fest could deliver.
cheers tet