PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what do you think about my c.v ? :(
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2009, 11:09
Flintstone

flyhighspeed

With all due respect how much experience of evaluating applicants, filtering CV's and recruitment do you have? The tone of your post is blunt and confrontational suggesting none. You may mean well and wish to help but please refrain if your experience in the area is limited. Sorry, but some of your suggestions aren't really a good idea.

7oodaz. When reading a CV for the first time I want it all on ONE page. To see the applicants name in bold, enlarged print at the top followed by his/her address and contact details.

Licences, ratings and hours flown should be displayed prominently. I will scan for these immediately. Remember that often the first selection stage (ie, filtering) will be conducted by a non-pilot member of the admin staff who will have been told to look firstly for total hours then (if applicable) type rating and time on type. Sadly some of these people will not be all that sympathetic and if they can't find that information straight away will simply move on to the next in the pile. A one page CV can contain all they need to know about you initially, certainly enough to decide whether or not you qualify for the next stage. One that is padded out with fluff and verbiage stands a good chance of being cast aside. Trust me, I've seen it done.

By all means briefly list your hobbies and interests but do NOT list the magazines you subscribe to, nobody cares at this stage. It's taken for granted you follow the main industry ones. If you don't, you should.

No need to list medical expiry at this stage. Again, it should be kept current as a matter of course.

No need for sim hours. It's just seen as waffle, padding.

School grades and subjects. Not interested. Likewise your flying subjects. You must have passed the latter to gain your licence which is all that's relevant at this stage. A company that wants to will subject you to an entrance exam will do so anyway.

If you have worked in the industry briefly list dates, position and responsibilties. If not then a brief explanation of other jobs will suffice. Remember, keep it short. Nobody cares how many Boy Scout badges you earned

EVERY applicant I have ever interviewed has claimed to be a hard working team player, it goes without saying. Some of them were lying of course but they'll tell you/me want we want to hear to get the job.

If you'd like an example of the layout I suggest (and is more or less the industry norm) PM me and I'll be happy to oblige.

Good luck