PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 695/696
Thread: Garmin 695/696
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2009, 11:00
Flight Medic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topo Maps

Hi all,

Our Chief Pilot recieved the 695 a few days ago and was extremely pleased with the device, but wanted more out of it and asked me if i could figure it out!

Well, all he wanted was to veiw topographical maps on the unit while flying mountain resue opps. So I went and sifted through the manual (a first for me as I always bump my head several times and then refer to the manual). I eventually found what i was looking for. You can add map sets to the device (the safest way is to do it using an SD card).

So I loaded several square kilometers of Topo and recriational maps from Garmaps Africa 2009 Series onto a SD card, put the card into the machine and powered up! The topographical lines, streets (with names and house numbers) popped up as a transparent overlay above the flight charts already loaded onto the device. The only thing I haven't figured out is whether one can search for a specific street address or not, but will contact Garmin this week.

The topo maps are visible on the VFR map and the terrain map. but the screen gets extremely cluttered so turn down a few of the map settigns and it looks great. you can also get rid of the topo maps by simply pressing the CLR button.

Happy Flying