PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Layoffs@Alliance
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2009, 05:15
Chadzat

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats bad news to hear, I know a few F/O's in the AD base and I hope itsa not them.

Just to shed some more light on the BHP issue (Alliances main client for Olympic Dam)-

A few weeks ago there was a major incident in the main lifting shaft where they lift the ore up from underground to the surface. One of the 'carts' (for want of a better word- they are HUGE and there is only 2 per shaft.) Broke loose of its shackle and dropped down to the bottom of the shaft. Oops!!

Now the big deal with this is that there are only 2 of these lifting shafts at the whole mine, and the one that had the incident was 70% of the capacity. So they are only now operating on the second shaft which is approx 30% of the mines capacity.

The time frame has been quoted as 6-12 months for the main shaft to re-open. So as some guys here have said- its very short term thinking by Alliance. You would assume that when the shaft gets repaired the economy will be even better than it is now, so they would need to resume their normal flight schedule!