PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 17th Jun 2002, 22:33
Horatio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news indeed, even if long overdue. That is a very decisive vote by the pilot members.

I no longer fly, so the vote does not affect me individually. I was however a member for a good number of years when I was flying and served on my own airline council. I resigned, in disgust, from BALPA when I became privvy to what the union had done to it's own members over the Dan Air fiasco and failed to get satisfactory answers from CD who was the GS then. That was a dark day in BALPA's past and maybe one that can be exorcised forever now.

You guys now have a real opportunity to change the ethics and previous practices of the union and once again start to represent the true membership, without the back door politics that previously existed. Seize this opportunity and make it happen. There are a lot of good people who give their time freely to assist, who previously did not get represented in the way they deserved. A good union can bring real tangible benefit to aviation by curbing the excesses of both sides, i.e the airlines and the pilots equally. It should also serve to enhance the recognition of the profession as a whole, if in wise hands.

I'll have a drink to your success.