PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 17th Jun 2002, 22:23
Martin A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John F

Well, as someone who has been paying my subs for a while and doesn'y mind who knows my identity, a fact I find interesting from those contributing anonymously I would like to ask the questions of where does BALPA go from here? What is the immediate plan and what is the long term one? It would certainly NOT be in BALPA's best interest to be headless, thus a FULL time person would seem to be required, not a part timer, even whilst what seems to be search for the real candidate seems to be going forward. Does JF intend resigning from BA to devote his time to BALPA during this difficult period for example?
I would have thought that the companies out there are counting their luck, as FULL TIME leadership at BALPA will apear to not be available, which will make life somewaht more difficult for all on the employees side and enable any determined mangement anopportunity to make a strategic strike at us
Qiute why the real candidate did not stand in this election puzzles me? After all, given the complaints about finances from some as the reason for CDs removal, the cost of two elections rather than one will now be incurred, hardly helpful to the finance case !
As to outside accountants monitoring balance sheets from the BALPA report, well given the foul up and cover ups at Andersen I would have thought that a degree of humble pie would be in order. If you need the real in depth numbers, there is surely an executuve oversight via the NEC, which are they not the elected officials who oversee what BALPA does ?
Let us hope that this situation is resolved quickly and with an inclusive solution, for any divisions within BALPA due to sectional self interest will be exploited to the full by those who wish to see BALPA weakened.
Regards
Martin Alder