PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scimitar F1 LABS load
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 21:18
neilf92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scimitar F1 LABS load

Having enjoyed the sight and sound of Lossie Scimitars in my late teens I am assembling information about the a/c in it's nuclear role . I know they carried a 2000lb Red Beard nuclear weapon . I have found plenty of pics of the actual weapon but :
1) I've searched the net and can't find any pictures showing which pylon it would have been hung on or what the rest of the loadout comprised . Would a practice shape have been coloured differently to the standard olive green with yellow bands I see in the photos ?

2) I know that a LABS attack involved a 3.5 - 4G pull up / release and over the top to roll out level in the dive but I'm not sure if the aircraft would have been pulling G at the moment of release ?
Richard Bach implies this was the case when describing a similar attack profile in an F84 i.e pulling 4 G and "Wham" at the moment of release .
I imagine this might cause some interesting asymetric moments in a Scimitar and wondered how it felt and how the a/c was balanced / controlled for the manouevre?
Any help gratefullly accepted .

Last edited by neilf92; 10th Nov 2009 at 19:22.