PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flyNiki/Air Berlin -vs- Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 18:18
Tigger4Me

Location: Following the sun and skiing... No snow involved just Spending the Kids Inheritance!
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
flyNiki/Air Berlin -vs- Ryanair

Can I say that this is NOT a, “Let’s knock Ryanair” thread but one that does pose a question as you will see. I use Ryanair when I have to, i.e. when the price is right, and get what I pay for. It does what it says on the tin and so long as you know the rules you should not have anything to complain about... BUT

This week I sampled another loco, fkyNiki, from PMI to LIS and found some interesting differences:

1. My fare included (optional) on line check in with seat selection at no extra cost.
2. 20 kgs of luggage with an additional 5 kgs of hand luggage.
3. An allocated seat, so no mad rush or scramble for what each individual perceives to be the ‘best’ seat.
4. Greeted and attended by charming, smartly dressed FAs who, despite being German/Austrian nationals, all spoke perfect English.
5. A comfortable seat with ample legroom in a smart aircraft that did not bear any resemblance to a bus.
6. Two seat back pockets; one in the headrest for safety card, menu, etc. The other in the seat back for personal belongings.
7. Multi channel audio entertainment (earphones extra).
8. Drop down TV’s showing flight information. As a side issue, this included displays I had not seen before. During the take-off and landing phases we had a ‘view’ through the flightdeck window and during flight through left hand and right hand cabin windows. Obviously computer generated as it showed the landscape below as it would appear if it were not for the 10/10 cloud cover. Once below the clouds on the approach to LIS the views matched perfectly. Interestingly as we banked the views moved in synch.
9. During the 90 minute flight we were served with a choice of sandwiches and the drinks trolley made two runs during which I had two orange juices and a coffee. This was followed by service from the duty free shop; all without pressure and all included in the fare with the exception of alcohol and duty free. AND not a scratch card in sight. The FAs smiled through it all and were still smiling when we deplaned.
10. No charge for using a debit/credit card.

And the cost? Six Euro for the flight and 23 for the taxes and fuel surcharge.

Clearly Niki Lauda is not running his business as a charity making a record 7.1 million Euro post tax profit in 2008.

So MOL, the question clearly is, if Niki can do it...