PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 16:14
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a fanstastic thread. Another example of a posting with that air of contentiousness that turns into a slanging match (see integrated v modular, which TR to purchase?, how many line hours will I buy?, or indeed anything remotely relating to Ryanair!) We can all show how driven we are by our own subjectiveness - to hell with the fact that some poor sod was only asking for an informative answer to a reasonable question. Highjack the thread and tell him that he has either made the greatest decision humanly possible or alternatively let him know that he is a complete and utter bollox! Giving two sides to the arguement ain't permitted (I know, I've been there, completely guilty!)

Talking about being places, well I've been here for 1.5 years now. As you all know it isn't without its issues, however I enjoy it. As do many others. The novelty of what I do hasn't worn away. I am continually learning, continually progressing, earning good money and living my life in the way which I like to live it. I have a well defined career path which has a proven track record. I have watched others achieve a lot in very little time.

Anyway, enough of the positives; its nauseating for the 'haters.' Plus I don't want to be regarded as having an 'agenda.' I will leave all that to the likes of 'Leo Camel Hair' and his band of rose tinted followers! As I freely admitt, this place ain't without its issues. You must approach it with an open mind. Romanticists, idealists and the downright stubborn have all been badly scathed. And by that statement I don't mean those who possess a backbone or a large set of 'cojones' need not apply. Just be aware that you are a mere part of a very single minded behemoth. That's often the very sad and realistic reality.

Some posters on here (The Beak, smith etc) believe we are the root of all evil. 'Parasites & Scabs' being some of the colourful adjectives on offer. And yes, neither by definition are offensive, however the context which you use them are. Maybe someone will apply the word to you someday, heaven forbid!
Yet contentious issues lend to heated debate. I have been of the opinion that Integrated FTOs put pressure on the 'wanabee' to stump up well above the odds for a CPL/IR. Just to get their foot in someones door. When I started out in 2005 I had the chance to go to Oxford. I turned them down, went modular (took twice the amount of time), did a FIC and joined Ryanair. Putting the FIC and some additional pleasure flying aside, I did this all for less than what the APP at OAA, OAT (or whatever they are known as today) would have run me! This doesn't absolve me from the fact that I became part of the SSTR bandwagon or indeed agreed to a contract that doesn't hold much worth to the paper on which it is written - but there you go. My choice, my bed - I'll lie in it! Without it I wouldn't have what I have now. God knows what I'd be doing (it wouldn't be commercial flying anyway) or what I would be supporting my family on?

Flying is a perishable skill, as are the prerequisite ratings and licenses. For 8 months after I had qualified I was totally wound up in a potential job flying the same aircraft that I fly now, out of an airport 25 minutes from my front door, for the same money that I am on now (albeit with a better contract) with an SSTR for nearly half the price than what I paid FR! I had been interviewed and assessed and placed in a dreaded hold pool. And this is the problem (Beware Beak - I believe you are floating in some pool). As time went on I was fed story after story regarding my recruitment. Yet I was assured that I was part of the future plans. I turned down a job flying a B200 and started my FIC, convinced a TR course was looming. January 2008 came - Bamm!!! Change to company structure, personnel and direction. I attended a prearranged re-interview. "Who are you?, what hold pool?, cadet SSTR - no way!, I need current 737 rated crews like yesterday - thank you, but kindly Foxtrot Oscar Sonny Jim!" And there you go. Swam myself right into obscurity. And thats what generally happens in these pools! The company can feed you all the sh1te that they want to! It costs them nothing to have you hanging on! After all the cost is all on you with your perishable skills, licences and ratings dieing by the day.

So I bit the bullet and joined the hoards. Glad I did because there was **** all else and there will be **** all else for quite some time. Sure it wasn't the course that I intended to take when I set out upon this journey. I would be a bloody liar if I said it was! And if you had shown me a better one, I would have been all over it! Yet I'm getting there and I'm getting a kick out of it. I had a fantastic day today, flying to Ciampino with a great skipper and a friendly crew. I had a great laugh, flew a good CDA Loc approach to RW15, made a nice Flap 40 landing, monitored the return leg and went home. Unfortunately I did have to get up at 0345, park my car in a space that I paid for, filled my own water botel up in the crewroom, warmed my own lunch up in the oven and supplied my own coffee (actually I liberated some of the Captain's ). But heh, ain't life a bitch! If I had stuck to my guns and displayed any sort of moral value and self-worth I could still have been lying in my bed dreaming about flying instead of actually doing it!