PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part-time CPL/ME/IR training
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2009, 07:24
Golf Sierra Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did ME/IR/CPL part-time

I undertook a ME/IR/CPL course in the UK on a part-time basis whilst in full-time employment. It worked very well for me - but I would stress that success in this situation probably depends on a lot of personal factors (what worked for me might not work for others).

Each course was completed in minimum hours - but I added an extra 5 hrs to the IR as I had several exams cancelled due to weather and wanted to keep the continuity. All first passes. From start to finish it was approx 6 months.

Key for me was a school that was flexible to my schedule and most importantly, an instructor who was willing to work when I was free - often out of hours. The only time off work was on exam rides.

Take a good look at work life and home life to see if you think you have flexibility to make it work. Look at your local school (you need to be local to the airfield) closely and see how they operate and their attitude to flexibility. It also helps to have had a long term relationship with an instructor as they will go that extra mile for you.

As I say - it worked for me and I got the bulk of my high-cost training out of the way whilst still having an income. I'll try and keep earning money until the market improves - then make the break if I can.

PS - more details on school available via PM for those interested.

GSS