PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 7th Nov 2009, 00:39
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There certainly is much more scope for more realistic training for offshore workers but good luck trying to get their fat arses out and into a realistic environment.
As for survival suits not fitting correctly? Perhaps they should address limiting the size of persons who are flying offshore? Lets face it - no matter if you had ejection seats in these aircraft, most of the offshore workers are tragically unfit and wouldn't survive 'realistic' conditions. Before decisions are made about safety offshore - persons should address their personal contributions to their survival.

As for all the copious discussions about what these pilots did correct and incorrectly - its totally irrelevant. There is a time and place for 'seat of the pants' flying and trying to outsmart this problem via the checklist is folly. You can apply all the numbers and end up well behind the curve. We seem to be living in an time of life where human interface is being discredited and superceeded by computerisation and this is contributing to a disassociation between the pilot and his aircraft. We don't fly airliners, we shouldn't be 'managing' our aircraft but integrating ourselves into them. I have always said "strap the aircraft on and take responsibility for it"
Never let the aircraft or environment call the play. Flying offshore decays a pilots hands on feel for his aircraft and complete simulator training exacerbates this lack of 'feel'.

Sit back and read some stories about the old timers. Some of these guys performed miracles with aircraft problems they encountered and they knew half the information we do about POF or aircraft physics. I'm humbled as I consider what problems they dealt with.

I just wonder if its time for a complete rethink of training and pilot selection. We can have all the safety systems in the world. Its a dangerous job and you get one shot at making a good decision.