PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 6th Nov 2009, 18:36
Dan Reno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're Welcome Heli-Ice
............................................................ .............
Offshore union hopes survivor's testimony brings change

Source: CBC News

Posted: 11/06/09 7:34AM

Filed Under: Canada

A union leader representing offshore oil industry workers in Newfoundland and Labrador says testimony from the sole survivor of the Cougar helicopter crash underscores serious problems with offshore safety.
Sheldon Peddle, who works on the Hibernia platform and is president of Local 2121 of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union, sat in an inquiry room Thursday and listened intently as Robert Decker told his story of what happened before and after the crash.
Decker was testifying at the inquiry into offshore helicopter safety, prompted by the March 12 crash off St. John's that killed 17 people.
Peddle said he sometimes struggled as he listened to Decker explain what he went through after the Sikorsky S-92A crashed into the ocean and sank into deep water.
"I think for Robert it was hardest of all," Peddle told CBC news following the testimony. "I noticed that for a little while he struggled a bit. I did myself actually. Yeah, It was pretty tough."
Decker told the inquiry that the training people must complete before they are allowed to travel to offshore work isn't adequate.
"As good as the training is, a couple of days of controlled emergency training in a pool [are] not enough to allow anyone to develop the instinctive reaction to survive a crash like this," he told the inquiry.
Decker escaped the helicopter as it plummeted deep into the ocean. He said that when he reached the surface, he had problems with his survival suit.
"I couldn't get the gloves on and even in the training in warm water when you have complete dexterity with your fingers, I think they're a little bit tricky to get on. And there is also a shield that you pull over from around the hood that kind of protects the spray from getting on your face and I wasn't able to access that, either," Decker said.
Peddle said he shares Decker's concern about the survival suits.
"I haven't flown in a helicopter since the spring because of survival suit issues. I don't have a suit that fits me," he said.
Peddle said he hopes Decker's testimony will have a powerful effect on the offshore industry, as the offshore workers he represents still have many questions about the Sikorsky S-92A.
He said the latest news that a crack was found in the gearbox footing of a Halifax-based Sikorsky this week has amplified their concerns.
"To know now that we are developing cracks in the gearbox is a very unsettling thought. I think a lot of members feel that the helicopter has significant safety problems."
Following Decker's testimony, the offshore helicopter inquiry adjourned until Nov. 16.