PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 6th Nov 2009, 17:41
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Following on from a different thread, the education qualification for aircrew used to be 4 GCE and for officer aircrew 5 GCE, both including maths and english.

For aspirants hoping for a full career and proper training at Sleaford Tech, they also needed 2 A-levels.

These were in the days when GCE was a rigourous academic syllabus and media studies was an unknown term. The levels were set to ensure applicants had the basic academic skills and were thus a reasonable training risk.

When Sleaford Tech went fully comp and anyone could aspire to a full career the two A-level requirement was brought in for all officers. AS simply does not cut the mustard. Neither does an Honours degree if you don't have maths and english at GCSE.

To summarise - no history of asthma. Medically fit. All the academic requirements. Under the upper age limit. Normal anthropomorphic measurements. Physically Fit. Be in UK for the requisite number of years. As the recruiting target for pilot is very low but the number of suitable applicants is very high, there is no requirement to accommodate those that do not meet the rigorous requirements for selection.

If you are at school, study hard, play hard. If at university don't do a 4 year degree after a gap year - you will dip out.