PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the difference in the left and right seat controls on Airbus
Old 6th Nov 2009, 11:02
JenCluse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side=sticks minus electronics

I grew up on the central control stick (L or R hand) Chippy, and threw my young self into the first Victa Airtourer with relish. It was, to the best of my knowledge, the first 'side' stick light aircraft, in that it's single central stick had a large spade handle, which was in theory was able to accommodate two hands.

I aerobat-ed to excess, (dee-lightful, even on 100 horses,) then later taught formation & aerobatics in them, and can say that yes, there was an initial early-day young instructor rating awkwardness when changing seats, but that evaporated within about 30 minutes of the first training session. The Victa had a roll rate of 120 degree/sec, zero control slop and the 100hp version was a light as a feather around all 3 axis. Too sensitive really, for a trainer. I would teach people to fly (& later aerobat) with their little finger gently pressed up against to bottom of the top cross bar of the spade stick hanle, so as to teach them the subtly control movements needed. All little fingers seem to work much the same, L or R <grin>. The brain flies the seat to keep the eyes happy using the best means available, adjusting accordingly, it would appear.

Similarly, after a lifetime cleaning my teeth with a tooth-brush in my right hand, a broken wrist had me needing to swap, and it only took 3 'sessions' to become fully ampidextrous.

I also flew the very early A-320 as PI, and in training I asked training Capts totally new to side-sticks how they felt about it, and universally they (all two of them) had had zero difficulty. Beyond initial exposure it was a non event, other than to remark at how well a side-stick cleaned a cockpit up.

The A-320 feel (or total lack of it, other than for a few springs) was obviously well enough designed for that limited job, although procedures are definitely slanted to button pushing. Lack of manipulative currency quickly revealed itself in the simulator, when 'flying' the low weather circuits then required to be demonstrated. (400' clearance night min vis circuit from low res approach & break-off.) That is a whole different thread.

FWIW (OK. Next time I'll keep quiet.)